Not sure if spring is truly here yet in Calgary but it is April and it’s a time of the year when lots of homes like to have a good spring cleaning done.
Spring cleaning checklist for your home
Spring is such a wonderful season, birds are finally out chirping, the sun starts to feel warmer and the snow begins to be a distant memory (sometimes). Even if doesn’t fully feel like spring yet in Calgary, it’s still time to start tackling your spring cleaning list. It’s a great time to get your home ready for the summer season and make your home a happy, clean and organized space.
Below is detailed list to help you with spring cleaning your home.
Things to do, clean and organize in every room:
- Remove light fixtures and clean them, replace light bulbs if needed.
- Wash down ceiling fan blades
- Wash walls , doors, switch plates and trim
- Wash up or shampoo / steam clean floor areas
- Remove paintings and pictures from wall and give them a good wipe down.
- Air out your rooms, open windows
- Dust and wipe down furniture
- Wash curtains
- Wash your windows outside and inside
- Wash windowsills
- Take screens out and use hand wand from your vacuum to suck up the winter dust (anything else usually leaves a mess)
- Remove floor vents to wash (the dishwasher is the best place, I find) or replace them.
Cleaning the Entry Ways and Foyer:
- Empty out and store away winter gear from coat closet
- Wash or replace welcome mat
- Clean/wash upholstery (if applicable)
Cleaning and organizing your Bedrooms:
- De-clutter space and promptly donate or trash items you no longer need (including stuff in your drawers and closets)
- Vacuum closet floors and wipe down shelves and other surfaces
- Move your furniture over, including beds and vacuum and wash floors that don’t get cleaned often
- Wash your bedding (referring to the heavy duvets or bed covers)
- Have your mattress professionally cleaned (it will prolong the life of your mattress tremendously), or sprinkle some baking soda on it and then vacuum up.
- De-clutter cabinets and vanity – it’s OK, you won’t need that mini shampoo bottle from the hotel, go ahead and chuck it 🙂
- Wash the outside and inside of the cabinets/vanities
- Scrub clean your tub and fixtures
- Re-grout or cock tub if needed
- Wash shower curtain or replace with a special new one
- Wash bathroom mats or replace them
- Clean toilets inside and out
Kitchen & Dining Room cleaning:
- De-clutter cabinets and drawers
- Wipe cabinets and draws down inside and outside
- Replace items back into cabinets and draws neatly
- Clean oven , inside and outside
- Clean Fridge, inside and outside – throw out the expired bbq sauce, and salad dressings 🙂
- Move stove and fridge and wash floors
- Shine kitchen sink
- Clean dishwasher, go ahead take it apart and wash all filter parts etc. Just remember what order everything was in
- Clean any upholstered chairs, curtains etc.
- Shine up the kitchen table
- Shampoo couches, or clean and condition leather furniture
- Wash throw pillows and blankets
- Clean TV’s and other electronics (with appropriate cleaners)
- De-clutter area and promptly donate toys, cushions etc you no longer need
Other Misc. Areas
- Wash inside and outside of your washer and dryer
- Vacuum dryer vents if necessary
- Replace furnace filter
- Don’t forget your basement
This all seems like a lot of work but if you can divide it up between a few weekends or set aside a chunk of time, it will feel great to have it all done. Or you can call a cleaning company and have them give you quote.